By Bob Gregory
I think it is time for my parents to move into an Assisted Living Facility or a Nursing Home. Can they live together? The answer is yes, if you choose the right facility. There are continuing care retirement communities, assisted living facilities and nursing homes that have apartments or rooms for married couples.
Here are some things to consider when searching for a facility to accommodate both of your parents:
- If one parent is not as healthy as the other look for a facility that can meet the needs of the parent with greater health issues
- Look for a facility that provides activities that meet both of your parents needs and interests
- Look for a facility that will only charge for the services needed and provided on an individual basis. This is important if one parent has greater health issues.
|Sweethearts (Photo credit: adwriter)|
- Make sure the facility does an initial assessment to ensure the right placement for your parents and make sure that follow-up assessments are done periodically
- See if there are other married couples living at the facility and if activities are provided for married couples
- If your parents have to be in separate facilities for memory care or health reasons, find a facility that has an assisted living unit and a memory care unit or skilled nursing unit. Also make sure the healthier spouse will be able to visit their spouse whenever they want.
When people have been married for many years the thought of being separated is frightening. It can also be overwhelming when one spouse has to be the caregiver for the other spouse. In most cases a facility that can accommodate spouses with varying health needs – you just need to do your homework!
If you find you need an Assisted Living Facility, Nursing Home or any other type of Senior Facility, I hope you will consider www.seniorfacilityfinder.com.
If you would like to contribute your thoughts and ideas, please leave them in our comment section. We want to hear them. Helping people care for themselves or their loved ones is what we care about.
We look forward to reading yours.