By Bob Gregory
There is a new and positive attitude about life for seniors 50 and above and its changing the way seniors think, act and especially where they live! Retired or not, may seniors are seeking communities where they are surrounded by like minded people in their peer group who enjoy similar activities. There is an exciting and growing new concept resulting in active adult communities. These communities are referred to as 55+ Communities, Active Adult Communities or Lifestyle Communities. Many people incorrectly refer to these communities as Retirement Communities, and while they attract active retirees, they are also attracting pre-retirees seeking an active adult lifestyle.
For many health and active seniors, this is a very exciting time of their life—their children are grown, they have more leisure time, many are retired, maintaining a “family” home is no longer a priority and they want entertainment. These seniors now have a very exciting living choice!
Here are ten of the most commonly noted advantages of a 55+ Community:
- The Community is
specifically designed for active seniors 50 and above
Mature couple playing golf (Photo credit: s_falkow)
- There are planned activities tailored to their age group
- The Community promotes an active lifestyle through its amenities and activities
- Socializing is encouraged, promoted and made easy for the residents
- Homes in these communities are often very affordable and are low maintenance
- Safety and Security are usually provided by a 55+ community
- Most 55+ communities are designed in a resort setting that is appealing and fitting of the area they are located
- Home designs have seniors in mind and feature wider doorways, single story dwellings and smaller units
- 55+ Communities are usually in very convenient locations near shopping, health care and community activities
- Option to buy or rent are available
55+ Communities vary in the amenities they offer. Many communities have limited healthcare options on-site while others have transitional housing for Assisted Living and even Nursing Home care on-site. For residents that have trouble driving, some offer transportation services for shopping, medical appointments and to planned entertainment outings. Almost all 55+ Communities enforce an age limit for the residence for adults 50 or older, but some will allow a family member 18 or older to live with the resident. And rest assured, all communities encourage visitors, especially grandchildren! Finally, be sure to ask if they will accept your pet!
There are many choices in 55+ Communities and we encourage you to visit as many as you can in the areas you wish to live. Be sure and find the community that promotes the type of activities and has the amenities that you desire in your active lifestyle. To obtain a list of 55+ facilities in your area that meet your needs please consider www.seniorfacilityfinder.com .
If you would like to contribute your thoughts and ideas, please leave them in our comment section. We want to hear them. Helping people care for their loved ones is what we care about.
We look forward to reading yours.
Bob Gregory is an advocate for Seniors and is one of the founders of www.seniorfacilityfinder.com. At SeniorFacilityFinder.com, we are dedicated to helping families get the Elder Care help they need without having to provide their personal information! If you find you need a 55+ or other type of senior facility, please consider www.seniorfacilityfinder.com.